Last Updated: December 2019
Alexa, change the wake word.
Did you know you can change Alexa’s wake word?
The Alexa wake word is what you say to get Alexa’s attention. Want to call Amazon’s virtual assistant Alexa by another name? Just follow the steps below.
2 ways to change the Alexa wake word
You can change the Alexa wake word with an Alexa voice command (faster way) or in the Alexa app if you prefer.
Voice command (20 seconds)
Follow the steps below to change the Alexa wake word for the Alexa device you are speaking to:
- Say “Alexa, change the wake word”
- Alexa will prompt you to choose 1 of 3 other wake word options (Amazon, Computer or Echo)
- Say your new wake word selection
- Alexa will confirm she understood and let you know that you can start calling her by the newly selected name in a few seconds
Pro Tip: If you have multiple Alexa devices, you’ll have to repeat steps 1 – 4 speaking to each device. I recommend using the same Alexa wake word across all of your devices.
In the Alexa app (30 seconds)
- Open the Alexa app
- Select the Devices icon on right side of the bottom menu
- Tap the Echo & Alexa icon on the top left
- Tap the device for which you want to change the wake word
- Scroll down and tap Wake Word under the General section
- Tap the wake word of your choice
Pro Tip: Changes you make only effect the device you tapped in step 4. I recommend using the same Alexa wake word across all of your devices, and you’ll have to update the wake word for each one individually.
Can I pick my own name for Alexa?
Not yet. Unfortunately the only wake word options today are Alexa, Computer, Echo and Amazon.