You can now schedule Alexa routines to kick off at sunrise and sunset.
6 easy steps to kick off an Alexa routine at sunrise or sunset…
- Create a new Alexa routine (click here for simple step-by-step instructions)
- Tap “When this happens” to choose your routine trigger (click here for helpful screenshots)
- Tap “Schedule” (click here for helpful screenshots)
- Tap “Sunset” or “Sunrise”
- If there are days of the week when you don’t want the routine to happen, de-select those days. Tap “Next” in the upper right corner
- Tap “Add action” to set the actions (like turning on your porch light) you want to happen when the sun sets or rises
In case you don’t already use Alexa routines, here’s why they’re great…
They let you automatically make something happen (like music turning on) at a specific time every day, upon an Alexa voice command, any time you arrive at or leave a place and when your morning alarm goes off. You set it and forget it.
Check out VoiceBrew’s comprehensive guide on how to set up an Alexa routine.
Try this sunset routine…
You can easily create an Alexa smart lighting routine that turns on your indoor and outdoor lights when the sun sets and it gets dark outside.
Triggering Alexa lighting routines with sunset is great because it means you’ll never have to adjust timing of your evening routines again to make sure they kick off as soon as it starts to get dark.
Pro Tip #1: You can set a routine to kick off up to 60 minutes before or after sunrise or sunset (say you want your outdoor porch security lights on 15 minutes before sunset just to be safe). When you’re doing step #5 above, you’ll see a “Time Offset” option that you can easily adjust.
Pro Tip #2: If you haven’t already, get started with smart lights! With this guide to Alexa Hue Lights anyone can easily set up smart lights and figure out which ones are right for you.