Let Alexa do the grocery shopping for your next dinner!
I love to try new recipes, but I hate to start prepping only to realize I don’t have everything I need. So this hack is one of my favorite time savers. It’s especially great if you’re planning a dinner and going through a recipe, or going through your pantry.
As you’re going through the recipe, tell Alexa what you need. Say, “Alexa, add 1 lb chicken thighs to my shopping list,” “Alexa, add garlic to my shopping list,” “Alexa, add mushrooms to my shopping list,” and whatever else it is you need.
Pro Tip: To make sure you have everything, you can say, “Alexa, go to my Shopping List” and she’ll recite everything you have saved.
Then, when you’re done with your list, it’s time to shop!
- Go to the Alexa app and tap Shopping to get to your list. Then tap Shop Your List to order.
- Choose from Whole Foods or Fresh (aka Amazon Fresh). Then tap Delivery, and the address where you’d like it delivered. (You can also choose Pickup if you feel like getting out of the house.)
- Tap Confirm to go to the screen where you confirm your purchases.This is also where you can customize. Scroll down to what you need for the recipe and select the specific item you want. She’ll show you different options, like boneless skinless or bone-in chicken thighs; baby bellas, white, oyster or shiitake for mushrooms, etc. Just check the box next to your choice, confirm the amount you’d like, then tap Done.
- When you’ve gone through each ingredient, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and tap the yellow bar that says Add selected items to cart.
- On the next screen, tap Check out. Your account will be charged, and your groceries will soon be on their way!
Pro Tip 1: This system works on a bigger level too. Every week or two, go through your fridge and pantry and call out what you need, adding it to your list. No more running out last minute for things, or the dreaded “Oh no, I left my grocery list at home!”
Pro Tip 2: As you select different brands, Alexa will remember your preferences and present those first the next time you shop.