Just say, “Hey Google, play me the news”
There’s a lot going on right now, and it can be hard to keep up. Fortunately, your Assistant can share the news you can use.
Just say, “Hey Google, play me the news” and you’ll get the latest news that’s customized to your location and the topics you tend to follow. (I got an NPR update with a lot of focus on COVID—which definitely checks out.)
You can make sure that your news reflects what you’re interested in:
- Open the Assistant app
- Tap the circle in the upper right corner with your image or initial
- Scroll down and tap “News” (the settings are in alphabetical order!)
- Tap the blue “Change news playlist format” text at the bottom
- Select “Your News Update”
- If you’d like, select any specific news outlets you want to hear from (note that Google will pull from many outlets, so you’ll hear from news outlets even if you don’t select them)
- Tap “Done”
Wondering how Google knows (or at least guesses!) what you’re interested in? It’s based on your Google user history, preferences and location.
Pro Tip: If you have a Google Nest display, it’ll show you video, too!