Your smart lights may be the key
A good night’s sleep is one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself. But it doesn’t come easy for everyone. Fortunately, there are things you can do to help you along.
Cool blue light—the kind from overhead lights and TV screens—is interpreted by your body as energizing, so while it can improve your mood and your focus, it can also keep you awake.
So on weekday nights when I need to get good sleep, I cut my TV watching early. And I use my Alexa Routine to help me drift off.
My smart lights are my secret weapon. I have them programmed to switch to a warmer hue — and to dim to a lower intensity as I’m winding down.
I also have Alexa play some relaxing music. It’s set for an hour, so I can relax, read and drift off to sleep, knowing it will turn itself off.
Sound appealing? Here’s how to do it.
- Go to the Alexa app and tap More in the bottom right.
- Tap Routines, and tap the + sign in the upper right to create a new one.
- Enter the Routine name. I call mine sleepy time.
- Then tap When this happens, to schedule the routine to occur at a certain time, and how many days you’d like it to repeat. I have mine set for 9 pm on weekdays. Then tap Next to move on.
- Under Add action, tap Smart Home, then select the lights you’d like to change. Under Set color, choose a warm color that encourages sleep, and under Brightness, use the slider to a dimmer setting. Warm white is my go to, and I dim my lights halfway.
- Then use the + sign to add another action. Under Music, I have the playlist Dream Time from Amazon Music. I set the time for 1 hour, but you can make it as long or short as you wish using the time scroller.
- Then tap Save and you’re done!
Pro Tip: You can add up to 7 different phrases to trigger a routine, so you can each say what comes naturally. So while I say, “Alexa, start sleepy time,” my husband can say, “Alexa, it’s bedtime” and we both get the same result.
To add extra trigger phrases, go to the Routine and tap View/edit. Then tap Add another phrase, and type in whatever trigger words you want, up to 7 phrases total for each Routine.