See if you have any old devices hanging around
Spring is here, which means it’s time for spring cleaning—and no, that doesn’t just mean swapping your winter sweaters for T-shirts and shorts 🙂
If you’ve had an Alexa smart home for a few years like me, chances are you have some cleaning up to do there as well.
Maybe you there’s a smart plug connected to your account that you don’t use anymore because you replaced it with a smart light… or an old Echo that you swapped out for a new generation one.
I highly recommend spending the next 2 minutes clearing out all those decommissioned old devices from your Alexa app. It’ll make finding and controlling the ones that you currently use a lot easier!
Just follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app
- Tap “Devices” on the bottom navigation bar
- At the top where is says “Echo & Alexa,” scroll all the way to the left and tap “All Devices” to see a list of all of the devices connected to your account. The ones that are still in use will say Online (or New Device if it’s been recently set up), while the no-longer-used ones will say Offline or Not Connected
- Tap the device you want to disconnect from your Alexa account
- If it’s a smart home device, tap the gear icon in the upper right corner > tap the trash icon in the upper right and tap “Delete”
- If it’s an Echo device, tap “Deregister” (You can always reregister it to the same or another account in the future)