Alexa Video Drop in Helps You Keep Close to Loved Ones
It’s just like video chat — except better
(Remember, Alexa’s drop in feature works like a two-way intercom between you and an Echo speaker or smart display. With drop in, you can “call” an Echo, communicate through it and hear (and, with an Echo Show, see) what’s happening around it — all without anyone having to answer the call.)
Drop in is a wonderful way to surprise loved ones with an unexpected hello. Or to check in on an elderly relative to make sure they’re doing well without the hassle of them having to get up and answer the phone.
It’s great for reaching someone at home when they’re not picking up their phone — or when you just want to easily communicate handsfree with someone in another room.
You can easily drop in by saying “Alexa, drop in on (name of Echo device)” or from the Alexa app’s “Communicate” tab when you’re on the go. And the addition of video to your drop in with an Echo Show makes it way more personal and fun!
Pro Tip: Considering buying an Echo Show smart display? Check out the brand new Echo Show 8. It’s a down-the-middle Echo Show with an 8” screen that costs $130 (versus $230 for the Echo Show 2nd Gen).
Step-by-step: How to easily make Alexa drop in calls
- First, follow these 4 simple set-up steps to make sure you have drop in enabled.
- When you’re on the go, drop in from the Alexa app: Open the Alexa App > tap the “Communicate” icon on the bottom navigation bar > tap “Drop In” at the top > tap the device you’d like to drop in on (e.g., “Living Room Echo Show”) and wait for it to connect.
- When you’re home and want to drop in on someone in another room: Say “Alexa, drop in on (name of Echo device)” to be instantly connected.
- When you’re home and want to drop in on a contact: Drop in will only work between you and a contact if you allow the contact to access your Alexa devices (and visa versa).
- Tap/click here to see how to give drop in permissions. Once you’re all set with permissions, just say “Alexa, drop in on (insert contact name how it appears in your contact list).”
Pro Tip: The steps above work for video drop in calls (for those with an Echo Show) and regular non-video drop in calls.