See how to use this fantastic new feature upgrade!
Yep, you can take any existing Alexa routine, easily copy it and then make tweaks. That means when you want a variation on a routine you’ve already constructed, you no longer have to create a whole new version from scratch.
For instance, I just created a “Move Night” routine that has Alexa dim the lights and turn on the TV and speakers when I say “Alexa, movie night.” I was able to easily create a “The End” routine by copying the “Movie Night” one and quickly adjusting the routine actions to turn the lights on and equipment off. Yay 🙂
How to easily copy a routine:
- In the Alexa app, tap the hamburger icon (3 horizontal lines) at the top left
- Tap “Routines”
- Tap the routine you want to copy
- Tap the 3 dots at the top right of the screen
- Tap “Copy Actions to New Routine”
- Give your new (copied!) routine a new name and trigger
- Tap into the routine actions and make any edits you’d like!
Alexa routine newbie? Check out VoiceBrew’s step-by-step guide to creating a basic Alexa routine.
3 reasons you might want to duplicate a routine
Here are a few ways to use this helpful feature upgrade…
- Reverse your lights-on sunset routine at sunrise: I have an Alexa routine that turns on a bunch of outdoor lights at sunset. It was so fast to create a sunrise routine by copying the sunset one and simply reversing the actions to power off the lights
- Kick off similar routines with different trigger words: You might want to have an “Alexa, evening!” routine that turns on lights and one of your favorite playlists that’s similar to your “Alexa, I’m home!” routine
- Create fun variations of routines: Sports fan? Create a variation of your “Alexa, movie night” routine that turns your smart lights the color of your favorite team (hopefully it’ll be safe for more sports to come back sooner rather than later!)
VoiceBrew: Get more out of Alexa with a daily Alexa tip delivered to your inbox
I created VoiceBrew to help people get more out of the Amazon Alexa voice assistant. Whether you’re just setting up your first Alexa speaker or smart display or you’re a seasoned pro looking for advanced tips, VoiceBrew can help.
There are so many life-changing ways to use Alexa, but most people aren’t familiar with all of the things Alexa can do. By signing up for VoiceBrew, you’ll receive a free daily email with one actually awesome thing to try with Alexa. VoiceBrew also publishes comprehensive how-to guides on all the best features and important topics like privacy.