Alexa is a great resource for summertime first aid
Summer tends to be the season for medical mishaps — whether it’s a rash, mosquito bites, a bad ankle sprain or a really awful sunburn (I got my first — and hopefully only! — epically bad summer sunburn last weekend).
Fortunately, Alexa can get you reliable advice for just about any health problem with the Mayo Clinic First Aid skill. The skill will also help you decide if the issue can be handled at home or if it’s time to head to urgent care.
Follow these easy steps now so you’re ready for your next emergency:
- Say “Alexa, open Mayo First Aid” and follow the prompts to familiarize yourself with the skill
- If you have an ailment now, answer the questions to narrow down to the condition and get treatment advice (I discovered that the folk remedy of applying baking soda paste can actually can take the sting out of mosquito bites)
- When you’re done, answer “nothing” to the next question to quit out of Mayo First Aid (or say “Alexa, stop” to exit the skill any time)
Pro Tip: Using the Mayo Clinic’s Alexa skill is faster than Googling on your phone, and since treatment advice comes from the Mayo Clinic, you know it’s dependable.
Get advice about that other big summer health issue…
With coronavirus still spreading throughout the world, you probably still want to keep tabs on what’s happening. Mayo Clinic offers a separate skill focused solely on COVID-19 that answers all of your big questions.
Here’s how to ask Alexa for answers:
- Say “Alexa, launch Mayo Clinic Answers”
- Follow the prompts to check your symptoms or ask questions about social distancing, tips for avoiding spread, and other pressing issues
VoiceBrew: Get more out of Alexa with a daily Alexa tip delivered to your inbox
I created VoiceBrew to help people get more out of the Amazon Alexa voice assistant. Whether you’re just setting up your first Alexa speaker or smart display or you’re a seasoned pro looking for advanced tips, VoiceBrew can help.
There are so many life-changing ways to use Alexa, but most people aren’t familiar with all of the things Alexa can do. By signing up for VoiceBrew, you’ll receive a free daily email with one actually awesome thing to try with Alexa. VoiceBrew also publishes comprehensive how-to guides on all the best features and important topics like privacy.
Wondering about the best Alexa speakers and smart displays for your needs? Or how to get started with an Alexa smart home? VoiceBrew covers that, too!