Just say, “Hey Google, be my interpreter!”
If you’re lucky enough to be traveling to another country this year, you’ll definitely want to keep your Assistant handy.
All you have to say is “Hey Google, be my interpreter,” and you can literally have a full conversation with someone in which you are speaking one language and they are speaking another.
Google Assistant’s Interpreter mode provides real-time translation between 44 different languages—so you can be sure to get directions (or find the nearest bathroom).
Here’s how to get Assistant to start translating…
- Open the Google Assistant app
- Say “Hey Google, be my Spanish interpreter” (or insert almost any language you can think of)
- Start speaking English, and Assistant will translate what you said into Spanish. Assistant will both speak and show the Spanish translation of what you just said
- Assistant will follow along with the conversation and translate the Spanish speaker’s response into English
- … and then translate your response back into Spanish… and so on!
Pro Tip #1: When you start up interpreter mode, they’ll offer 3 modes: “Auto” (the default), “Manual” and “Keyboard.” Keep it on “Auto” in order to have a dynamic conversation with real-time translations.
Pro Tip #2: Make sure that Assistant can easily hear both speakers in order to get Assistant’s full services.