Just update your nickname
There’s an easy way to change the name Google Assistant calls you…
… and you can even teach it how to pronounce your name the right way!
So if you’d rather be called Mike instead of Michael — or your name is spelled “Mai” but pronounced “May” (like one VoiceBrew reader!) — then you are in luck!
Just follow these simple steps:
- Open the Assistant app on your phone
- Tap the circle in the upper right corner (the one that contains either your photo or the first letter of your name)
- Scroll down and tap “Nickname” (you’ll notice all the settings are in alphabetical order)
- Update your nickname under “What should Assistant call you?”
- If you’d like, update the pronunciation as well
- Tap “<” in the upper left corner, and you’re done!
- Tap “<” in the upper left corner again to navigate back to the main tab of the app, and say “Hey Google, what’s my name?” test it out!
If you’re updating how Google Assistant pronounces your name in step #5, the “Record your own” option lets you teach Assistant the right way to say it — and it works very well! Super cool.