Learn how to connect a smart plug to Alexa in just a few easy steps
What is Alexa?
Alexa is the name of Amazon’s virtual assistant, just like how Siri is synonymous with Apple devices. This virtual assistant is built into Amazon smart home devices, like the Echo Dot, Echo Show, Amazon Firestick, and more.
Alexa can perform a lot of different tasks, including setting alarms and timers, playing your favorite song, answering questions (“Alexa, how many teaspoons are in one cup?”), telling you how long it will take to drive to work, and so much more!
And while Alexa enabled devices have a wide range of capabilities, when coupled with add-on Alexa skills, Alexa has the ability to do so much more — including completely customizing your smart home experience with an Amazon Smart Plug.
Considering a smart home device? Try the Amazon Smart Plug.
The Amazon Smart Plug is a switch that you control with voice commands. Think of it as a cheaper, easy workaround to installing Philips Hue smart home lights.
The smart plug gives you the ability to turn everyday home appliances into smart appliances (within reason!). Wondering which devices work with a smart plug? Check out this pro tip to test appliances in your home.
Learn how to connect smart plug to Alexa in 5 easy steps
Connecting a smart plug to Alexa is super easy. Here’s how:
- Take plug out of its packaging (but keep the packaging until set-up is done)
- Plug it into the wall
- Open the Alexa app
- Give it a few seconds to find the plug…
- Tap Devices in the bottom navigation bar > Plugs
If the device didn’t connect automatically, don’t worry! You can connect it manually by following these steps:
- In the Alexa app, tap Devices in the bottom navigation bar > + icon on upper right > Add Device > Plug (under the All Devices section) > Amazon
- You’ll land on a tab requesting the 2D bar code. You can find the code in the quick start guide included in the Plug’s box. If you already threw away the packaging, you can also scan the code from the back of the plug
- Follow simple on-screen instructions
Smart Plug doesn’t connect? Head on over to the comprehensive VoiceBrew Guide to Amazon Smart Plugs for some additional troubleshooting options.
Now that you know how to connect a smart plug to Alexa, try these tips:
- Create an Alexa Routine and turn on your coffee maker automatically
- Rename your smart plugs so it’s easier to turn them on or off
- Make your lights “dim”
Still unsure if you should get a smart plug or smart lights? Read the VoiceBrew guide to Philips Hue lights and see which option is right for you.
VoiceBrew: Get more out of your Alexa Device with tips delivered straight to your inbox
VoiceBrew was created to help people get more out of their Amazon Alexa devices. Whether you’re just setting up your first Alexa device, or are a seasoned pro looking for advanced tips, VoiceBrew can help.
I love Alexa but realized that most people weren’t familiar with all of the capabilities available in every device! With VoiceBrew, you’ll have access to comprehensive how-to guides that cover basic set-up all the way to more advanced routines.
Wondering what devices work with Alexa? I cover that, too in VoiceBrew Alexa smart home guides. Ready to get started? Sign up for the VoiceBrew newsletter today.