Learn all about the games you can play with Alexa
What is Alexa?
Alexa is the name of Amazon’s virtual assistant, just like how Siri is synonymous with Apple devices. Alexa is built into Amazon smart home devices, like the Echo Dot, Echo Show, Amazon Firestick, and more. There are so many great uses for Alexa, including awesome games Alexa can play with you!
While Alexa enabled devices have a wide range of capabilities built into them, when coupled with add-on Alexa skills, Alexa has the ability to do so much more — from completely customizing your smart home experience to offering up super fun Alexa games.
Looking for games to play on Alexa?
Whether you’re a parent looking to find a fun afternoon activity for your kiddos, an adult trying to pass the time, or a teacher looking for an interactive way to supplement your lesson plan, there are plenty of games to play on Alexa!
Check out VoiceBrew’s comprehensive guide to the best Alexa games for any occasion for more ideas.
Ready to start playing a game on Alexa?
Once you’ve found a game you’d like to play (you can read through a comprehensive VoiceBrew Guide to Games for Alexa), just say “Alexa, play [insert game name]!”
If that doesn’t work, follow these instructions to enable an Alexa game:
- Open your Alexa app
- Tap/click the hamburger icon in the upper left corner
- Tap Skills & Games
- Tap the magnifying glass in the upper right
- Type the name of the game and select it (if you don’t see it below search input, tap “Search” on the keyboard)
- Tap the Enable To Use button
- Say “Alexa, play [insert game name]”
Games for Alexa in the classroom
If you’re a regular VoiceBrew reader, you know how much we love the idea of using Alexa in the classroom. You can use Alexa to help give attention to small groups, answer questions (think encyclopedia), and even help your students practice mindfulness. But you can also use Alexa in the classroom as a fun way to play games and trivia to break up an afternoon and liven up your students. Here are a few VoiceBrew favorites:
- Kids Quiz! Perfect for children ages 5-12, Kids Quiz! updates daily to quiz students on a variety of topics, including science.
- Lemonade Stand: This game is similar to the computer game you might be familiar with, and helps teach math and business skills.
- The Queen’s Mathematician: this math-focused game for kids 6-8 uses elementary level math problems combined with a story to keep kiddos engaged and learning.
- Focus Game: if you want to teach your students mindfulness, this game helps “focus and quiet the mind.”
Alexa Games for Adults
Kids aren’t the only ones who can have fun playing games on Alexa: there are plenty of options for your next game night with friends (I love Ellen’s “Heads Up” game!), games for your family, and even games for seniors!
Once you’ve tried some VoiceBrew Alexa game recommendations, head on over to the Alexa Skills page on the Amazon website to browse through even more trivia and games!
VoiceBrew: Get more out of your Alexa Device with tips delivered straight to your inbox
VoiceBrew was created to help people get more out of their Amazon Alexa devices. Whether you’re just setting up your first Alexa device, or are a seasoned pro looking for advanced tips, VoiceBrew can help.
I love Alexa but realized that most people weren’t familiar with all of the capabilities available in every device! With VoiceBrew, you’ll have access to comprehensive how-to guides that cover basic set-up all the way to more advanced routines.
Wondering what devices work with Alexa? I cover that, too in VoiceBrew’s Alexa smart home guides. Ready to get started? Sign up for the VoiceBrew newsletter today.