VoiceBrew is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Amazon Alexa for Kids: the Ultimate Gamechanger for Teachers and Parents
Considering getting an Amazon Alexa for kids?
Amazon Alexa for kids, you say? Yes! Parents and teachers are finding Alexa to be a useful addition to their parenting toolkits because of the Echo Dot Kids Edition, which is catered specifically to children with kid-friendly content. The Echo Dot Kids Edition can:
- Read stories
- Tell jokes
- Answer questions
- Integrate with over 20,000 books and educational skills from Disney, Audible and Nickelodeon via FreeTime Unlimited (the Echo Dot comes with a free year for you to try out!)
- Play music, filtering out explicit content
- Be used as a two-way intercom so you can call your kiddo down for dinner
- Call other Echo devices (“Alexa, call Grandma!”)
Plus, it comes with a two-year protection plan and parental controls so you can see how much time your child is spending using the device. Easily uncover how much time your child is spending on books, videos, and apps, and have full access to their call and message history.
How does Amazon Alexa for Kids differ from a traditional Alexa device?
Amazon created an Echo Dot specially geared towards kids, but what is the difference between Amazon Alexa for kids and a traditional device? The Echo Dot Kid’s Edition provides kid-friendly responses to questions, kid-focused podcasts, music, stories and more. Plus, there are robust parental controls.
What else can Amazon Alexa for kids help with?
Need some inspiration on how to make the most of your new Echo Dot Kid’s Edition? Try out these ideas:
- Set up a bedtime Alexa routine for your kids: studies show that a consistent bedtime leads to a better night of sleep. Plus, integrate the device with lights in your child’s room so they automatically dim.
- New parent? Keep your supplies stocked! Just say “Alexa, order diapers.”
- Need help with homework? Alexa has access to dozens of homework help skills. I love the Translated skill and Smart Dictionary skill.
For more ideas on what Amazon Alexa for kids can help with, check out VoiceBrew’s Guide To Alexa For Kids. If you’re a teacher, read through the VoiceBrew Guide for Alexa in the Classroom to discover ways to make learning fun for your students!
VoiceBrew: Get more out of your Alexa Device with tips delivered straight to your inbox
VoiceBrew was created to help people get more out of their Amazon Alexa devices. Whether you’re just setting up your first Alexa device, or are a seasoned pro looking for advanced tips, VoiceBrew can help.
I love Alexa but realized that most people weren’t familiar with all of the capabilities available in every device! With VoiceBrew, you’ll have access to comprehensive how-to guides that cover basic set-up all the way to more advanced routines.