You’ll want to keep these Alexa troubleshooting tips handy!
Echos are pretty stable, but every once in a while something goes a little wonky
You get the circling blue light, your music randomly stops playing, or Alexa stops responding.
Fortunately, it’s likely not a permanent failure—and with a few tricks, you can probably get your Echo back up and running.
3 things to try when Alexa stops working
#1. Unplug your Echo
As with most tech items, shutting off power, waiting 30 seconds, then plugging it back in can work miracles. (This simple trick solves 99% of my tech problems!)
#2. Make sure your Echo is connected to the internet
Open the Alexa app > tap “Devices” > “Echo & Alexa” and check that your Echo isn’t listed as “offline.”
If it’s not connected to the internet…
- Tap into the device > next to “Wi-Fi Network,” tap “Change” and follow the prompts to update
- Reboot your Wi-Fi router by (you guessed it!) unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds and then plugging it back in
#3. Do a factory reset
If your Alexa still doesn’t work, this stronger “reboot” will actually wipe your Echo so it’s just as it was when it came out of the factory.
I recommend doing a factory reset via the Alexa app
Tap “Devices” from the bottom navigation bar > “Echo & Alexa” > then select your device. Next to where it says “Registered To,” tap “deregister” to remove the Echo from your account.
You can also reset by pressing buttons right on your Echo
- For first-generation Echos, you stick the end of a paperclip into the hole on the back of the device
- For other Echos, Echo Shows, and second generation Echo Dots, you press and hold the volume down and microphone off/mute buttons at the same time until the light turns orange
- For third-generation Dots, you hold the “Action” button down for 25 seconds
Pro Tip: If you’re selling or giving away your Echo, you should do a factory reset to erase your personal information.
After the factory reset is complete, set up your Echo again
- Plug in your Echo device
- Open the Alexa app
- Tap “More” on the bottom navigation bar
- Tap “Add a Device”
- Tap “Amazon Echo”
- Tap “Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus and more”
- Follow the prompts to set up your device!