Just say, “Alexa, call me an Uber (or a Lyft!)”
Ridesharing services like Uber or Lyft can be a lifesaver when you don’t want to drive yourself.
You can set your favorite one as an Alexa skill and have her call one for you by saying, “Alexa, call me an Uber.”
First, you’ll need to set it up as a skill. (This walks you through Uber, but Lyft works the same way.)
- Tell Alexa to order you an Uber. She’ll offer to set you up with Uber’s Alexa skill and send a link to your Alexa app to connect your account
- Tap “Link Uber account” to access, and sign in with your Uber account credentials
- Uber will send you a pin number, which you enter to confirm your identity.
- Allow access to Uber info, including surge fees, requested ride history and saved places
- Now you’re set! Next time you need a ride, say, “Alexa, call me an Uber.”
Pro Tip #1: Uber will use your home address as the default. If you’re traveling and need a ride from a different address, like a hotel, you can enter that in the Uber app under Settings by adding it to Saved Places.
Pro Tip #2: While you’re setting up Uber with Alexa, check to make sure your credit card is up to date and not expiring in the near future. (Mine was almost expired!)