Luckily, Alexa is here to help you remember
Here’s how Alexa routine checklists can help!
With so much going on right now, it’s easy to forget things — especially the little things.
Yesterday, I spent 10 minutes trying to slice the skin off my halibut after forgetting to ask the fishmonger to do it (which is what inspired me to write this newsletter!).
Fortunately, you can easily set up Alexa routine checklists to remind you of all the key things you want to remember when you head out the door on your next trip to the grocery store, pharmacy or other errand.
My newest Alexa routine kicks off when I say “Alexa, I’m going to the fish market”
It reminds me to ask for the skin to be removed — and of course to bring my mask, hand sanitizer, and shopping bag.
Do This Now: Follow these steps to set up your own Alexa routine checklist
- Open your Alexa app and tap the hamburger icon on the top left corner
- Tap “Routines”
- Click the + icon in the upper right corner to open a “New Routine” tab
- Tap “When This Happens” to set up the trigger. (It can be a certain phrases, like “I’m going to the fish market,” or it can play at a certain time of day)
- Tap “Add Action”
- Tap “Alexa Says” and tap “Customized”
- Type in what you want her to say, like “Don’t forget to ask them to take off the fish skin”
- Tap “Next” and if everything looks good, tap “Next” again
You can add as many actions as you want to a single Alexa routine. As part of your leaving the house checklist Alexa routine, why not turn on Alexa Guard to watch your place while you’re gone, turn up the thermostat and turn off your smart lights?
4 more checklists you might want to put into an Alexa routine
There are so many great ways to use Alexa routines. Here are a few of our favorites:
- “Alexa, I’m going for a run.” Have her remind you to put on sunscreen and bring your earbuds, ID and phone
- “Alexa, I’m going to dance/soccer/baseball practice.” If your kids always forget an essential piece of equipment, have her remind them to bring a water bottle and all the right gear
- Pre-dinner prep. Around the time when you usually start making dinner, have Alexa remind you to defrost the meat or fish, or start preheating the oven
- “Alexa, I’m leaving.” You might remember this one from a few weeks back, where we suggested she remind you to bring your mask, hand sanitizer, gloves, and other safety gear