Just say, “Alexa, launch My Loft”
MyLoft is the first 3D animated game for Echo Show. You use voice commands to operate your own loft-style BnB and interact with a slew of quirky characters.
The premise is simple: You’re dropped in an empty home, and your job is to decorate it and run it as a business, interacting with overnight guests and other random people who drop by.
Here’s how to play:
- Say, “Alexa, launch My Loft.” She has a running tutorial at the bottom of the screen that tells you what to ask, or offers prompts of things you can do.
- Your loft comes unfurnished, and you have a starter budget of $2,000to furnish it. The guide (I call her British Alexa) shows you possible items to purchase. If you don’t like them, say Skip. New items go on sale every few hours, so every now and then, ask “Alexa, what’s on sale?” to see the latest. (Warning: You may find yourself saying things like, “I can’t believe I spent $800 on a lamp!”)
- As the game runs, you’ll hear knocks on the door. Say, “Alexa, open the door,” and you’ll meet the quirky characters in your virtual town, from Instagram influencers to salty sea captains. Each interaction runs about a minute or two—just enough to be a fun distraction.
- There are a few ways to earn more money. You can answer simple questions to help out your neighbors, or upgrade what’s in your loft so your overnight guests pay more or give you higher ratings.
- Guests only stay for one night, so every day your game is a little bit different. Tap the question mark in the bottom right corner of the screen to get suggested challenges for the day, to keep your business running.
I love this game because it’s cute and no pressure. You can check in on guests and get a little escapism without spending a lot of time. It reminds me a little bit of those Tamagotchi pets that were all the rage in the late 1990s—only if you ignore MyLoft for a few days, you may miss a good furniture sale, but chances are, no one will die.