That way, it’s always the perfect temperature when you get in
I hate getting into a hot car in the summer, or a cold car in winter. Fortunately, if your car is Alexa-enabled, you can just ask Alexa to turn on the car a few minutes before you walk out the door so it’s nice and comfy by the time you get in!
Most major car companies have an Alexa feature built into their newer models — it’s becoming a regular feature in everything from Toyota to Tesla.
Connecting is easy. It varies by auto maker, but the process is typically similar:
- Open the Alexa app and tap “More”
- Tap “Skills & Games”
- Tap the magnifying glass icon on the top right and search for your car’s maker (e.g., Ford or Lexus) to locate its Alexa skill
- Tap into the Alexa skill then tap Launch and connect as required by the car company. (The setup process differs by manufacturer, but they aim to keep it simple. All I had to do was log into my account with my name and password. If you’re having trouble, ask your dealer to help you.)
Once you’re connected, try these commands:
- “Alexa, ask Toyota to start my car”
- “Alexa, ask Toyota if my car is locked”
- “Alexa, ask Toyota how much gas is in my car”
Each car maker’s Alexa skill has a slightly different set of capabilities. Check your car maker’s Alexa skill page (from step #4 above) and scroll down to see some of the suggested commands.