You should definitely be using this!
Setting up a routine or reminder based on location is a game changer. By setting up a few key locations on the app, you can create voice reminders or routines that are triggered when you arrive or depart from certain locations—because creating a reminder for 5 when you think you’ll be home, may be overlooked if you get home at 6.
Here are a few ways to use it.
- Monday morning memo. It’s hard to fall asleep some Sundays, when you have a to-do list to remember. Set a reminder for something to be triggered when you get to the office, and you can get it out of your head and get to sleep!
- Traveling for work. We always mean to let our loved ones know when we got home safely, but we don’t always remember to do it. Set a reminder!
- After work errands. Set a reminder to pick up dry cleaning when you leave the office.
- Kitchen prep. Set a reminder to defrost the chicken when you get home.
- Helping a neighbor who’s out of town. Set a reminder to pick up their mail when you get home from work.
Here’s how to create locations in the app. I suggest you add a few at the same time, and remember to use the language you would when speaking, like “work” or “Mom’s house.”
- Open the Alexa app and tap More in the bottom right.
- Tap “Settings” and then Your Locations.
- Work Address is a default. Tap the plus button to bring up the GPS, then type in the address. The location will show up on the map; if it’s correct, hit Save.
- To add new ones, tap Add Location, type in the address, and add the name (ie, Mom’s house, school). Then tap Save.
To create the reminder:
Just say, “Alexa, remind me to pick up the neighbor’s mail when I get home.”
Or you can do it by app.
- Open the Alexa app and tap More on the bottom right.
- Tap Reminders, and then tap Add Reminder.
- In the box, type what the reminder is, ie “pick up the neighbor’s mail.” Then select At a location instead of At a time.
- Use the plus sign to add the location. It should list your saved ones, or you can create a custom one. Then you can customize with When this phone arrives or leaves, set it to repeat as needed (only once, or on a certain day of the week), and select from which device you’d like the reminder. Then tap Save and you’re set!
Pro Tip: Having issues? Check your phone settings; your location setting needs to be enabled to allow Alexa to access the location. On your iPhone, go into Settings, scroll down to Amazon Alexa, and make sure Location says Always. If you have an Android phone, take the equivalent steps.