Set up a custom blueprint and let Alexa do the nagging
Get everything done in no time flat!
There’s always a lot to do around the house — and it’s generally a pain to organize it so everything gets done, and everyone plays their part.
“Whose turn is it to take out the garbage?” and “Whose cleaning up the breakfast dishes this morning?” are some of the questions that arise every day in my house.
And no one likes to nag their partner or children to do their chores — that’s just not good for any relationship!
Fortunately, Alexa make it super easy to schedule our chores with custom blueprints that let us each know what we have to do when — and she’ll even thank us when we let her know we’re done 🙂
We just have to say, “Alexa, chore time,” and she tells us exactly what needs to get done that day and who is responsible for doing it.
What’s a blueprint?
It’s a super easy way to create your very own Alexa skill with just a few taps in the Alexa app.
Do This Now: Easily set up your own chore blueprint!
It’s as easy as making an Alexa routine. Here’s the simple step-by-step:
- Tap “More” on the bottom navigation bar (or if you have the old version of the app, tap the hamburger icon in the upper left corner)
- Tap “Blueprints”
- Tap “Chore Chart” (if you want, listen to a quick sample chore chart)
- Tap “Make Your Own” at the bottom
- Follow the prompts on the page to add in the names and chores, then click “Next: Assign” in the upper right corner
- Assign each family member chores, and tap on the day(s) they’re assigned to it
- Check box next to “Create a reminder,” and pick the time and device. Now Alexa will do the nagging instead of you!
- Tap “Next: Experience” in the upper right
- Customize what Alexa says to greet you, encourage you, and praise you for getting it done
- Name your skill, then click “Next: Create Skill”
Pro Tip #1
It will take a couple of minutes for your new blueprint skill to become active.
Pro Tip #2
You have to open the skill (using the name you picked) in order to hear your chores for the day, so name the skill something easy for everyone in your family to remember.
Pro Tip #3
If your family is super competitive, Alexa will tabulate a “chore score” and keep tabs on who is completing the most chores each week. (I’m happily not in the lead!)