Here are VoiceBrew’s favorite 19 Alexa easter eggs
From the actually hilarious to the amazingly helpful, here’s a comprehensive guide to the best Alexa Easter eggs, plus cool tricks you never knew Alexa could do!
1. First things first… find an Alexa Easter egg!
Where to start on this, er, Easter egg hunt? Just say “Alexa, give me an Easter egg” and Alexa will offer you a clue. Your job is to answer this clue with the appropriate phrase that will “find” the Alexa Easter egg.
For example, Alexa’s clue might be: “If your recording session isn’t going well, ask one of your bandmates to give you this bell.” To answer, say, “Alexa, more cowbell” and listen up!
For more clues, simply say, “Alexa, give me another Easter egg,” or you can get fancy and say, “Alexa, give me a hard-boiled Easter egg” if that’s more your style.
2. Laugh out loud
Alexa’s comedy ranges from corny to clever, but she’s always there to crack you up. Ready to laugh? Here’s how to ask Alexa for a joke:
“Say, “Alexa, make me laugh,” ”Alexa, say something funny,” “Alexa, tell me a prank (or a blooper)” or “Alexa, do an impression.”
You can get specific and say: “Alexa, tell me a dad joke,” “Alexa tell me a yo’ mamma joke” (or even a knock-knock joke or dirty joke).
Alexa is quite worldly and has joke ready about pretty much anything. To make it personal, say “Alexa, tell me a (topic) joke!” For instant laughs (or eye-rolls), test her arsenal of jokes about science, sports, food, holidays or even Star Wars.
Pro Tip: Tired of Alexa’s sense of humor? Just say, “Alexa, let Jimmy Fallon tell the jokes” and he’ll take over for a while.
3. Get to know Alexa… and her attitude
Helpful, polite and a tad sassy, Alexa has an answer at the ready whenever she’s asked a question about herself. Don’t be shy, get to know her! From “Alexa, what’s your favorite color?” to “Alexa, what’s your zodiac sign?” no question is off-limits (although she’ll turn up her ‘tude if the questions get too personal).
Some fun ones to try:
- “Alexa, what’s your middle name?”
- “Alexa, can you sneeze?”
- “Alexa, are you blue?”
- “Alexa, how much do you weigh?” She’s more sass than mass! 🙂
4. Hear Alexa’s funny takes on her competition
Everyone knows Alexa rules all things Echo, but what about the world outside her Amazon orbit? From Siri and Cortana to the iPhone and Google, Alexa will offer her take on tech, all you have to do is ask. Say, “Alexa, what do you think of the iPhone?”, “Alexa, who is better, you or Siri?” or “Alexa, can you pass the Turing test” to find out where she stands.
5. Listen to Alexa sing!
Sure, Alexa can play any song you’d like on command, but did you know she can sing? Say, “Alexa, sing me a song” and she’ll belt out an original in her robot voice. When I tried this, Alexa serenaded me with her “Woohoo Technology” song, which definitely made me chuckle.
Say, “Alexa, sing a duet” and she’ll sing I Don’t Care with Ed Sheeran (move over Bieber!).
Go ahead and see what’s she’s got! Ask, “Alexa, can you sing in auto-tune?”, “Alexa, can you yodel?” or “Alexa, sing a love song” and enjoy her crooning.
Best of all, she takes requests… she’s got Happy Birthday, the ABCs, The Star-Spangled Banner and a repertoire of Christmas carols ready and waiting.
6. But love her rapping even more
It’s tricky to rock a rhyme, but Alexa has it down. Just say “Alexa, rap for me” and she’ll hit you with one of her best beats. She can also make it personal: say “Alexa, rap for Mom” or “Alexa, rap for Dad.”
Did you know this bot can beatbox, too? Say, “Alexa drop a beat,” or “Alexa, beatbox for me” and she’ll prove that she’s more than just a pretty voice.
7. Test Alexa’s TV & movie I.Q.
Everyone loves to quote their favorite TV shows and movies, and Alexa is no exception. She has a ton of TV and movie Easter eggs just waiting to discover, here’s a list of my faves:
- “Alexa, is Jon Snow dead?” (Game of Thrones)
- “Alexa, who loves orange soda?” (Kenan & Kel)
- “Alexa, beam me up.” (Star Trek)
- “Alexa, more cowbell.” (Saturday Night Live)
- “Alexa, where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?” (Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?)
- “Alexa, I made my family disappear.” (Home Alone)
- “Alexa, talk like Yoda.” (Star Wars)
- “Alexa, E.T. phone home.” (E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial)
- “Alexa, I want the truth.” (A Few Good Men)
- “Alexa, are we in the Matrix?” (The Matrix)
- “Alexa, I am your father.” (Star Wars)
- “Alexa, what’s the first rule of Fight Club?” (Fight Club)
- “Alexa, what is my mission?” (Mission: Impossible)
- “Alexa, what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?” (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
- “Alexa, I’ll be back.” (The Terminator)
8. Get lyrical with song-inspired Alexa Easter eggs
As a master DJ and singer in her own right, Alexa really knows music. Check out these song-inspired Alexa Easter eggs with your Echo, and then try to uncover a few of your own!
- “Alexa, do you have 99 problems?” (Jay-Z)
- “Alexa, tell me what you want, what you really, really want.” (Spice Girls)
- “Alexa, how do you solve a problem like Maria?” (West Side Story)
- “Alexa, how many roads must a man walk down?” (Bob Dylan)
- “Alexa, what does the fox say?” (Ylvis)
- “Alexa, hello it’s me.” (Adele)
- “Alexa, how much is that doggie in the window?” (Patti Page)
- “Alexa, never going to give you up.” (Rick Astley)
- “Alexa, watch me whip.” (Silentó)
- “Alexa, my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.” (Kelis)
- “Alexa, who is the real slim shady?” (Eminem)
- “Alexa, what’s cooler than being cool?” (Outkast)
9. Know exactly what to wear for the day’s weather
Is it sweater weather or day for shorts? Don’t chance it, ask Alexa! Forget Tan France–with a pulse on the weather report and all the style savvy the cloud can handle, this virtual assistant will make sure your sartorial choices and on point (and you remember your raincoat.)
When getting ready, ask “Alexa, what should I wear today” and she’ll tell you not just what to wear, but how to rock the look, too. (Today she told me to pair a white t-shirt with a midi skirt!)
10. Uncover Alexa’s superpowers
Alexa is not just a speaker and a screen, there’s a lot more to her that meets the eye. Discover Alexa’s secret superpowers, but be warned, she has a dark side.
Enable Super Alexa Mode: It’s the same Nintendo code of childhood, but instead of tapping the controller, just say “Alexa, up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start” to enable Alexa super mode!
Want to hear how Alexa saved the day? Say, “Alexa, pretend to be a superhero” and she’ll tell you how she came to the rescue yet again.
Totally fed up with tech and want Alexa to vanish in a blast of sparks and wires? Go nuclear and say, “Alexa, self destruct.” Luckily, Alexa knows that we don’t always mean what we say in the heat of the moment, so listen for a witty reply.
Just as Alexa can be a hero, she can also cause trouble. Say, “Alexa, pretend to be a supervillain” and hear about her mischievous ways.
11. Contribute to a cause
It’s never been easier to give. Simply say, “Alexa, donate to a charity” or “Alexa, I want to make a donation” to donate to one of over 300 charities. Alexa will ask you the name of your charity, how much you’d like to donate and just like that, you’ve supported the cause! Make sure you have AmazonPay set up for a super-smooth transaction.
12. Hear Alexa roar… or bleat like a goat!
Alexa is queen of the animal kingdom with a long list of animal sounds in her repertoire. She’ll meow, moo and more when you ask!
Just say: “Alexa can you bark?” or “Alexa, what does a goat sound like?” You can even command, “Alexa, roar like a lion!” or “Alexa, make an elephant sound.” For a funny response, try: “Alexa, talk like a chicken,” “Alexa, what does a turkey say?” or “Alexa, tweet like a bird.”
13. Spill some tea with Alexa when you just need someone to talk to
Luckily, Alexa is always available to listen!
To tell her your thoughts on Avengers: Endgame or why you think this will be the year for the Detroit Lions, say, “Alexa, let’s chat” and you’ll begin a convo with Alexa, via a socialbot. If this sounds like the future, it is. First, a bit of background: The socialbot you’ll be conversing with is part of the Alexa Prize, Amazon’s global university competition to advance conversational AI. The conversations you have with Alexa will help inform and improve this new technology and make chatting with bots like Alexa more natural than ever.
To begin chatting with one of the socialbots, say “Alexa, let’s chat”. Just say “Stop” to end the conversation, or say “Alexa, let’s chat” to start again.
14. Play with words
Did you know Alexa can speak in Pig Latin or iambic pentameter? She sure can! These Alexa Easter eggs are proof that Alexa is having way too much fun with words, or perhaps she needs to get out a little more. Let her impress you, try a few!
- “Alexa, talk to me in Pig Latin.”
- Alexa, speak in iambic pentameter.”
- “Alexa, tell me a palindrome.”
- “Alexa, tell me a pun.”
- “Alexa, give me a riddle.”
- “Alexa, say a tongue-twister.”
15. Choose vino like a pro
No need to take that sommelier course, Alexa knows just the right wine to go with tonight’s dinner. Ask, “Alexa what wine goes with spaghetti (or food of your choice)?” and she’ll serve up suggestions via Wine Spectator for the perfect pairing.
16. Find your phone!
Probably one of the most helpful features of the Echo is Alexa’s ability to find your phone! Just say, “Alexa, find my phone” and Alexa will call your cell number… all you have to do is listen for the ring (and fish it out from behind the couch.)
Make sure you link your phone in the Alexa app now, so you’ll be ready when you need it. Open the Alexa app > Tap the “Communications” icon, then follow the on-screen prompts.
17. Get an assist
Sometimes you just need a drumroll before a big moment or a high-five to celebrate a win. Alexa is always ready with these Alexa Easter eggs:
- “Alexa, drumroll please.”
- “Alexa, flip a coin.” (Also, “Alexa, heads or tails?”)
- “Alexa, roll the dice,”
- “Alexa, high five.”
- “Alexa, Marco!”
- “Alexa, rock paper scissors.” (Also: “Alexa, rock paper scissors lizard Spock.”)
- “Alexa, ask tiny violin to play.”
18. Make it all about YOU
Alexa, Alexa, Alexa. Why does she get all the attention? Sure, she can wake you up in the morning, give you the news, tell you what to wear, find your phone and your favorite song… but what about YOU? Turn the convo away from your fave hard-working virtual assistant and back to you with these self-centric commands:
- “Alexa, flatter me.”
- “Alexa, do you love me?”
- “Alexa, do you think I’m pretty?”
- “Alexa, how do I look?”
- “Alexa, I’m home.”
- “Alexa, will you marry me?”
- “Alexa, I’m tired.”
- “Alexa, how am I?”
- “Alexa, I have a cold.”
- “Alexa, guess what?”
- “Alexa, did you miss me?”
- “Alexa, who da man?”
- “Alexa, who’s the boss?”
- “Alexa, what should I do tonight?”
19. Listen to a story
Introducing Alexa, the storyteller. Gather ‘round the fire, or, um, Echo speaker and listen to her engaging tales. (Don’t worry, they’re quick!) To get started, say, “Alexa tell me a story.” You can even get specific and say “Alexa, tell me a funny story (or a love story/scary story.)”
She’s a poet, too! Just say, “Alexa tell me a poem.” She’s got quite the repertoire, so you can request, “Alexa, tell me a love poem (or friendship poem)” or even “Alexa, tell me a bad poem!”
She loves to show off her skills, so make sure you give these a try:
- “Alexa, tell me a haiku.”
- “Alexa, tell me a limerick.” (Also: “Alexa, tell me a [topic] limerick.”)
- “Alexa, tell me a rhyme.”
- Alexa, tell me a ‘roses are red’ poem